Whitefly on Leucaena
- The SEL Whitefly Ecology Database lists only 2 species on Leucaena: Aleurotrachelus trachoides and Tetraleurodes acaciae. (This does not look like A. trachoides --Aubrey Moore 21:03, 15 June 2007 (PDT))
- Matches image of Tetraleurodes acaciae pupa published at http://whitefly.biosci.arizona.edu/species/tetra_acac/index.htm
- Tetraleurodes acaciae is a native of California and Mexico (Hoddle 2006)
- Tetraleurodes acaciae is now known to be in the Pacific, the Philippines and Hong Kong, where it colonises a number of leguminous plants (Martin 2003)
- De Barro (1997) found T. acaciae on papaya on Guam in his 1996 survey. This was the first time this species was found in the Pacific.
- The whitefly was confirmed as Tetraleurodes acaciae (Quaintance) by Gregory A. Evans, national whitefly identifier of USDA-APHIS-PPQ on or before July 6, 2007. Thanks to Dr. Russell Campbell, Guam Department of Agriculture, for assistance in sending specimens for identification.
- Found infesting Gliricidia sepium at Guam DOA nursery and organic garden. --Aubrey Moore 00:06, 10 July 2007 (PDT)
Delimiting Survey 19 - 20 June 2007
The whitefly infestation on Leucaena leucocephala is widespread throughout Guam. We did not find immatures on papaya or any other hosts.
- Site 12 - 60 young, wild papaya plants about 5 feet high; no whitefly infestation detected although nearby Leucaena was infested
- Site 22 - 1 mature papaya plant; not infested with whiteflies
Two samples of infested Leucaena leucocephala were collected from Two Lover's Point on 25 July 2007. These were set up for parasitoid rearing using the flower pot method. Insects were collected daily from 26 July to 2 Aug. Sample 1 yielded 36 whiteflies and 1 parasitoid; sample 2 yielded 35 whiteflies. Estimated parasitism = 1/72 = 1.4%.
Samples counted on 5 SEP 2007. Sample 1 yielded 48 whiteflies, 0 parasitoids. Sample 2 yeilded 77 whiteflies, 0 parasitoids.
- Martin, J. 2003. An inventory of whiteflies in Belize: what relevance for EWSN? EWSN Newsletter 15. Available at http://www.whitefly.org/WhitefliesInBelize.htm Accessed 2007 June 16.
- Brown, Judith K. 2007. University of Arizona Whitefly Database http://whitefly.biosci.arizona.edu/species/tetra_acac/index.htm
- Rose, M. & G. Zolnerowich 2003. Eretmocerus picketti new species (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Aphelinidae), reared from Tetraleurodes acaciae (Quaintance) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae: Aleyrodinae). Pan-Pacific Entomologist 79:2 p.119-127.
- Villacarlos, L. T., B. S. Mejia & S. Keller 2003. Entomophthora leyteensis Villacarlos & Keller sp. nov. (Entomophthorales: Zygomycetes) infecting Tetraleurodes acaciae (Quaintance) (Insecta, Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae), a recently introduced whitefly on Gliricidia sepium (Jaq.) Walp. (Fabaceae) in the Philippines. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 83:1 pp. 16-22.
- Hoddle, Mark S. 2006. Phenology, life tables, and reproductive biology of Tetraleurodes perseae (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) on California avocados. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 99(3): p. 553-559. PDF
- Dowell, R. V. 1982. Biology of Tetraleurodes acaciae (Quaintance) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae). Pan-Pac. Entomol. 58:321-318.
- De Barro, P. 1997. Survey of Bemesia tabaci Biotype B whitefly (also known as B. argentifolii) and its natural enemies in the South Pacific. Final Report, ACIAR Project No. 96/148. CSIRO Entomology, Canberra. 22 pages. DOC